On February 22, 2018, Erin and I recorded a webinar for Continuing Education of the Bar – Representing Charitable Nonprofits: Formation and Exemption. It’s a basic to intermediate-level 90 minute CLE program available here.
Ensure you can advise clients on the special issues affecting nonprofits. This program covers how to get a nonprofit 501(c)(3) up and running. Learn how to assist your clients in choosing the appropriate entity and applying for tax-exemption; forming the entity; establishing governance, compliance, and reporting policies and procedures; and ensuring successful operations.
- Pre-formation consideration of alternatives, including fiscal sponsorship and donor-advised funds
- Identifying and addressing potential conflicts of interest
- Tax exemption classification issues
- Distinction between 501(c)(3) public charities and private foundations
- Executive compensation
- Initial fundraising
- Attorney General oversight
- Special internal governance requirements for nonprofits
- Charitable solicitations and compliance
- Fiduciary duties and potential liability
- Federal and state nonprofit and tax reporting requirements