You can listen to Gene on Tony Martignetti Nonprofit Radio today (1:00 pm ET; 10:00 am PT) discussing board oversight basics. Chase Magnuson and Allen Thomas kick off the show discussing real estate gifts, how to get them, and how to keep a charity safe from bad gifts. Click on the "Listen live" link.
Here are some of my favorite posts of the week in the areas of nonprofit organizations, corporate governance, philanthropy, and social enterprises:
- Nonprofit Assistance Fund: Great article by Kate S Barr & Jeanne Bell in the Nonprofit Quarterly – An Executive Director’s Guide to Financial Leadership – http://ow.ly/8wowx
- Emily: How can nonprofits that rely on government funding navigate the financial crisis? 5 ways discussed in Stanford Social Innovation Review – http://bit.ly/z0puQN
- Gene: Protecting Your Nonprofit's Money in the Post-Madoff Era – http://www.venable.com/files
- Tony Martignetti: Listen to my December teleseminar titled "Charity Registration Demystified" in association w/ NonProfit Direct – http://tony.ma/yablVa
- Emily: Can an Effective Whistleblower Policy Prevent Misconduct? via JD Supra – http://bit.ly/yDkOVC
- Nonprofit Quarterly: Controversy spins local nonprofit out of control – how conflict of interest can damage a nonprofit – http://owl.li/8swf8
- Emily: Build a Board w/ skills useful for start-ups & sell your potential impact to funders MT Foundation Center New York: Launching a Nonprofit – http://ow.ly/8r7ye
- Foundation Center: The Duty to Inform for DC Nonprofits: Originally posted in the Legal Alert published by DC Bar Pro Bono Program … http://bit.ly/zpMcZm
- Don Kramer: If a 501(c)(7) pays the start up costs of a related 501(c)(3) #nonprofit, can the 501(c)(3) reimburse the 501(c)(7)? – http://bit.ly/zG2awr
- Gene: Daily Kos: The Start of a Revolution – California benefit corporations http://j.mp/yUaV2R
- Cynthia Rowland: Happy to announce our free Spring seminars for nonprofits: http://NonprofitRoundtables [San Francisco]
- Rob Reich: "Electoral skullduggery." Super PACS & democracy – http://www.colbertnation.com
And two quotes from Dr. King posted during Martin Luther King, Jr. Day:
- Foundation Center DC: "Life's most persistent & urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?"
- Reshma Saujani: "Not everybody can be famous. But everybody can be great, because greatness is determined by service."