Here are some of my favorite posts of the week in the areas of nonprofit organizations, corporate governance, philanthropy, and social enterprises:
- Gene: NCAA fines Penn State $60 million, adds harsh penalties – LA Times
- Fast Company: Penn State, and how nonprofit boards will shape up in the wake of scandal: http://bit.ly/QGQoqE
- Alice Korngold: Nonprofit Board Scandals: Let Them Move Governance Forward
- Gene: Philadelphia monsignor gets 3-6 years in abuse coverup http://usat.ly/MksgVY [Ed. Covering up sex abuse claims results in felony conviction of church official.]
- Law For Change: Interested in the Ways & Means Subcommittee Hearing on tax-exempt organizations? Liveblogging and links to video: http://ow.ly/cuugk [Ed. Video available here.]
- Lois Fu: Check out summary of … House Ways and Means hearing on the nonprofit sector from Independent Sector http://ow.ly/cw6ro
- Gene: IRS to 'consider' tightening election spending rules for nonprofits – http://lat.ms/QxYsdn – e.g., "insubstantial" = 10% not 49%?
- C. Garber Siegrist: 'Dark Money' Nonprofit Rules Will Get Review, IRS Letter Says http://huff.to/NrQAcT via Huff Post Politics
- AFJ Bolder Advocacy: Any rule changes to 501(c)(4)s "not likely" to come before election. The IRS moves slowly. http://lat.ms/MSRn1z
- Emily: 3 Reasons Why Nonprofits Should Proactively Pursue Financial Transparency by @NonProfitBanker - http://flpbd.it/JygOQ
- Foundation Center Atlanta: … Top 10 Tips for Recruiting and Orienting Board Members http://ow.ly/cstXf
- Foundation Center: Listen! Board Service from the Young Nonprofit Professional Perspective http://bit.ly/Mj4EB2
- Jeanne Bell: Agreed! RT So wrong: using special or executive committee to act on the most important decisions in place of the Board – http://exceptionalboards.com/2012/07/20/scout-law/
- CompassPoint: The devil's advocate: and 11 ways to handle him/her from Nancy Schwartz http://ow.ly/csOv6
For more interesting tweets, follow me and Emily on Twitter. And for some fun and insightful tweets, check out NonprofitHulk and this post from Beth Kanter asking Who is Behind the Nonprofit Hulk Twitter Account?