Catch up with the week’s notable events and shared resources with Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- A gunman senselessly killed 26 people in a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas during the morning service on November 5. NY Times
- On Tuesday’s election, Democrats won key positions (including the governorships) in Virginia and New Jersey, leading CNN to declare: “Democrats sweep in Virginia, New Jersey”. CNN
- The House Ways and Means Committee added a last minute amendment to tax reform legislation that would allow partisan political activity not only by houses of worship but by all 501(c)(3) organizations. Nonprofit Times
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- National Council of Nonprofits: Our statement on @RepKevinBrady last-minute amendment to #TaxReformBill to further erode the #JohnsonAmendment’s protections for #nonprofits: Here’s our statement on this devastating development: http://bit.ly/2hXqguU
- Council on Foundations: ALERT: Language added to the House tax reform plan today would destroy the #JohnsonAmendment & allow any 501(c)(3) to engage in political activities. Read why we oppose this. CoF
- Nonprofit Quarterly: What’s at risk for nonprofits in the current #House #Tax Bill? The good, the bad, and the horrendously ugly NPQ
- Anne Wallested: Great summary of big issues for NPs rolled up in the tax bill (and what we can do about it) by @NonprofitAF. http://ow.ly/VXv130gnUak #S4YM
- Barack Obama: May God also grant all of us the wisdom to ask what concrete steps we can take to reduce the violence and weaponry in our midst.
- Nonprofit Quarterly: #1 Start with Purpose There is a reason that your organization exists. What is it? Igniting Leadership for Power, Purpose, and Impact [Ed. Transcript of the inspiring plenary from the 2017 BoardSource Leadership Forum, as delivered by Anne Wallestad, BoardSource’s president and CEO.]
- Stacy Palmer: NYT giving section is online only this year NY Times
- New York Times: Colleges are using shell companies to skirt taxes and bury investments that might spark protests, leaked files show http://nyti.ms/2hbYwBU
- Benjamin Soskis: 1: I’ve said it many times before: tax avoidance has to be part of the story of contemporary mega-philanthropy. How Business Titans, Pop Stars and Royals Hide Their Wealth
- Chye-Ching Huang: The House tax bill would give about as much in tax cuts to the top 0.1% as to the bottom 80%, per @TaxPolicyCenter: