Catch up with the week’s notable events and shared resources with Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- The Johnson Amendment repeal (which would poiticize 501(c)(3) organizations, allowing them to engage in, and use charitable funds in support of, political campaign activities) was cut from inclusion in a final tax reform bill. Washington Post
- On Thursday, a 3-person majority of the Federal Communications Commission voted to kill net neutrality, reshaping everyone’s future Internet experience in America. Internet service providers can now block sites or charge people more to access certain sites (e.g., Google, Facebook, Netflix). NY Times
- Democrat Doug Jones wins Alabama Senate election against bigoted, accused child molester GOP candidate Roy Moore. Washington Post
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Lucy Bernholz: Blueprint 2018 now available LinkedIn [Ed. This is Lucy’s ninth annual forecast for philanthropy and digital civil society, a publication I look forward to every year.]
- National Council of Nonprofits: It’s HOT HOT HOT! Trends-Hot Topics – Implications for your #nonprofit’s work in 2018! https://buff.ly/2BUWcIy
- Richard Rubin: BYRD ALERT: Johnson Amendment repeal is out of final bill, Wyden says. WSJ
- Lily Batchelder: A big under-discussed issue in tax bills: Most provisions go into effect 1/1/18. This is insane. Final bill will require multi-year reg projects on many provisions to clarify what they are doing. Congress needs to take these implementation issues seriously. 1/6
- Alliance Magazine: ‘A healthy democracy needs independent and trustworty information. This is dire peril’, argue @StanfordPACS’ Bruce Sievers & @mdiforg’s Patrice Schneider Alliance Mag [Ed. An important and urgent piece on civil society and democracy from my former prof.]
- The Atlantic: Is the new way to give a better way to give? @helaineolen reports on donor-advised funds http://theatln.tc/2yoskRP
- Exponent Philanthropy: Cross-Border #Philanthropy and Counterterrorism Regulations: Guidance for U.S. Grantmakers https://buff.ly/2z8Jt5Q @PPhilanthropy @peakgrantmaking
- World Wealth and Income Database: TODAY is the release of the 1st World Inequality Report 📈 http://wir2018.wid.world/ 👉 Discover 175 million datapoints about wealth and income #inequality in the world. #wir2018
- Bernie Sanders: This is an egregious attack on our democracy. The end of #NetNeutrality protections means that the internet will be for sale to the highest bidder. When our democratic institutions are already in peril, we must do everything we can to stop this decision from taking effect.
- GetUSCovered: FRIDAY DEADLINE: [TODAY] is your last chance to sign up for affordable 2018 health coverage. Go to http://HealthCare.gov and #GetCovered today!