Catch up with the week’s notable events and shared resources with Nonprofit Tweets of the Week.
Notable Events of the Week:
- The U.S. Supreme Court temporarily lifted legal blocks on President Trump’s travel (Muslim) ban, subject to certain exceptions, including for people with “bona fide relationships” in the United States. The administration interpreted bona fide relationships to exclude people with grandparents, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, brothers-in-laws and sisters-in-law, or fiancés in the country. NY Times
- Last Wednesday was California Nonprofits Day, a day on which nearly 100 California nonprofit organizations from around the state that had been selected by legislators as their Nonprofits of the Year were recognized.
- Polls by USA Today revealed that 75% of Americans feel alarmed or uneasy about how things are going in Washington today and only 12% support the Senate Republican health care plan (a bill the Congressional Budget Office concluded would leave 22 million more uninsured Americans by 2026).
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- National Council of Nonprofits: #Nonprofits Vigorously Object to Efforts to Politicize Houses of Worship http://bit.ly/2tpGtjq #JohnsonAmendment #CommunityNotCandidates
- Stacy Palmer: New @philanthropy oped from @jacobcharold: Fighting Hate Is a Key Role for America’s Nonprofits Chronicle of Philanthropy
- Guardian: Trump lawyer’s firm steered millions in donations to family members, files show Guardian
- The Conversation US: Why Congress should let everyone deduct charitable gifts from their taxes
- Anna Massoglia: New House Appropriations bill has a rider barring IRS & US Treasury from making “bright line” rules on 501(c)(4) political nonprofits, again
- For Purpose Law: Ethics Codes for Nonprofits
- Nonprofit Quarterly: What will #SCOTUS’s reinstatement of #Trump’s executive order on #immigration mean for #nonprofits and advocates? NPQ
- Rob Reich: Is Big Philanthropy Compatible with Democracy? Nice write up of my talk at @aspenideas by @YAppelbaum.
- Lucy Bernholz: Nonprofit capacity – it’s about digital literacy Medium
- Michael Foerster: Crowdfunding Popularity Continues to Soar Despite Risks to Donors