Catch up with the week’s notable events and shared resources with Nonprofit Tweets of the Week. And catch a repeat broadcast of my discussion with Tony Martignetti on Nonprofit Radio of the board’s role in program oversight.
Notable Events of the Week:
- Hurricane Irma was the longest-lasting powerful hurricane or typhoon ever recorded, worldwide, with an economic cost estimated to be from $64-92 billion. NPR
- President Trump confirmed his support of ‘Dreamers’ and of increased border security but did not tie this plan (deal) to a wall on the southern border. NY Times
- North Korea fired a ballistic missile over Japanese airspace for the second time in less than a month and two days after “the North Korean state news agency KCNA threatened the “four islands of the (Japanese) archipelago should be sunken into the sea by the nuclear bomb of Juche,” referring to the ruling ideology of North Korea.” CNN
Top 10 Nonprofit Tweets:
- Independent Sector: Ahead of UN general assembly, @BillGates says, “There’s no way to balance a cut in a rich country’s generosity.” Guardian
- Gene: Congress, defend the common law and common sense of nonpartisanship The Hill
- Guidestar: Just Released: 2017 GuideStar Nonprofit Compensation Report a large-scale examination based entirely on IRS data. http://npo.gs/2xufwxg
- Nonprofit Quarterly: The five highest and lowest-paid fields for nonprofit CEOs: https://hubs.ly/H08CDNX0 #compensation #leadership
- Philantopic: Let’s Stop (Just) Talking About Nonprofit Board Diversity Huff Post @boardsource @AnneWallestad
- Fidelity Charitable: We teamed up with @BoardSource to help provide 5 tips for successfully joining a nonprofit board.
- Fay Twersky: Funders look to other funders on questions about how to do philanthropy well. This means…curate responsibly! [referring to] IssueLab: How foundations access and use knowledge now in ‘Peer to Peer…’ @Hewlett_Found @HarderCo @EdgeResearchDC http://ow.ly/SpEb30cI49z
- Sylia Obagi: Can’t agree with Jason more! “The NonProfit Sector Must Move From Transaction to Collaboration” by Jason Ricci
- Bridgespan Group: Advice for #nonprofits: how to conduct a successful interview, what questions NOT to ask, & more http://bspan.org/2cFQI7s#p #hiring
- Erin Bradrick: Join me for a free basic 501(c)(3) lobbying & advocacy flash class with @DonorSearch on Wednesday – register here