Teaching moment? Read our opinion piece in The Chronicle of Philanthropy, Three Cups of Tea Scandal Offers Lessons for Charities and Trustees. Here’s a teaser:
- Consider public expectations in every report and publication.
- View the informational tax return as a public-disclosure document, not just an IRS form.
- Watch for potential conflicts of interests involving top executives and board members.
- Prevent sweetheart deals that benefit a charity’s officials or board members.
- Structure the board to engender public trust.
- Conduct independent audits regularly to avoid trouble.
- Adopt clear and fair travel policies.
- Draft an emergency-response plan long before any problems arise.